About Me

My photo
Back in the 80s, I wrote a book called "Voyaging on a Small Income", which was published and sold astonishingly well. It’s become almost a “classic” and is probably why you’ve found this site! I’ve been living aboard and sailing since the 70s. Nine different boats have been home, sometimes for several months, sometimes for many years. I love the way of life, the small footprint and being close to Nature. I’m a great fan of junk rig and having extensive experience with both gaff and bermudian rig, I wouldn’t have any other sail on my boat. It’s ideal as a voyaging rig, but also perfect for the coastal sailing that I now do. I’d rather stay in New Zealand, not having to keep saying goodbye to friends, than go voyaging, these days. Between 2015 and 2021, I built the 26ft "FanShi", the boat I now call home. For the last 45 years or so, my diet of choice has been vegetarian and is now almost vegan. I love cooking and particularly enjoy having only myself to please. I am combining all these interests (apart, perhaps, from junk rig!) in this blog. I hope you enjoy it. I also have other blogs: www.anniehill.blogspot.com and http://fanshiwanderingandwondering.wordpress.com

02 April 2023

Mock Caviar

I may have mentioned that aubergines are one of my favourite vegetables and this recipe makes the most of their unique flavour. Russian in origin, it’s usually popular, although very conservative eaters find its taste and texture too unusual for comfort. The secret of success is to ensure that the aubergine skin is thoroughly charred – this is what gives it its distinctive, smokey taste.

Serves 4 as a starter
 
1 medium aubergine – about 250 g (8 oz)
1/2 tsp dried, minced garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp lemon juice
salt and pepper

Method:
  • Char the aubergine over a hot flame. The easiest way to do this is on your toaster, if you have one, using kitchen tongs to reposition it until all the skin is blistered and black. Lacking a toaster, you can hold it in your tongs or on the end of a fork or put it under the grill. At the end, the aubergine should be cooked through. If it isn’t (test with a toothpick) lower the heat and cook it a little longer
  • Once it’s ready, cut the aubergine in half and carefully scrape the flesh away from the skin (which you don’t use), put it into a bowl and mix it to a purée with a broad-bladed knife or fork.
  • Now add the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper and blend thoroughly.
  • Scrape into a crockery bowl and serve when it’s thoroughly cooled.


No comments:

Post a Comment