About Me

My photo
Back in the 80s, I wrote a book called "Voyaging on a Small Income", which was published and sold astonishingly well. It’s become almost a “classic” and is probably why you’ve found this site! I’ve been living aboard and sailing since the 70s. Nine different boats have been home, sometimes for several months, sometimes for many years. I love the way of life, the small footprint and being close to Nature. I’m a great fan of junk rig and having extensive experience with both gaff and bermudian rig, I wouldn’t have any other sail on my boat. It’s ideal as a voyaging rig, but also perfect for the coastal sailing that I now do. I’d rather stay in New Zealand, not having to keep saying goodbye to friends, than go voyaging, these days. Between 2015 and 2021, I built the 26ft "FanShi", the boat I now call home. For the last 45 years or so, my diet of choice has been vegetarian and is now almost vegan. I love cooking and particularly enjoy having only myself to please. I am combining all these interests (apart, perhaps, from junk rig!) in this blog. I hope you enjoy it. I also have other blogs: www.anniehill.blogspot.com and http://fanshiwanderingandwondering.wordpress.com

05 August 2023

Chickpeas and fusilli in tomato sauce


 
 
This is an old favourite of mine. Incredibly simple to make, but astonishingly good to eat. Moreover, this is perfect voyaging food, because it is made from ingredients that you will have in your lockers. I prefer it with fusilli – spirals – but of course it will go with whatever pasta you have on board.

Serves 2

Ingredients

1/2 cup of chickpeas, soaked and cooked
a good glug of olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed or diced
425 g/14 oz can of tomatoes (See Notes)
a little wine
about a dozen black olives
1 tsp capers
up to 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
salt and pepper
4 handfuls of fusilli

Method:
  • Cook the chickpeas as usual.
  • Pour the olive oil into a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened and translucent. Add a little salt to speed things up, if you want.
  • When the onion is almost cooked, add the garlic and cook until it’s soft.
  • Now add the tomatoes and rinse out the can with wine, if you’re using it. If you’re using whole tomatoes, break them up with your spoon.
  • If you’re using them, stone and halve the olives. Add the drained capers.
  • Season with herbs andchilli flakes - which give a nice lift - and a generous amount of black pepper. Taste and add salt if it can take it.
  • Bring to the boil and add the chickpeas.
  • Lower the heat and cook until the sauce has become quite thick.
  • When the sauce is almost ready, cook the fusilli until it reaches the consistency you like.
  • Remove it from the cooking water with a slotted spoon, or drain it into a jug (you may need some of the water to thin down the sauce) and add it to the other pan. Cook for a few minutes longer. Check the seasoning and serve.
Add Parmesan (vegan, if you prefer) at the table, if you like it.

Notes:
  • Ideally, use chopped tomatoes in purée, but if you don’t have those, any others will do. It’s worth using better quality tomatoes in this recipe (most recipes for that matter!) for the extra flavour. They seem to be less watery, too.
  • Substitute dried, cooked chickpeas with a can
Variation
  • Use cannellini or butter beans.
  • Add finely diced celery if you have some.
  • Try this with pasta shells, or similar. You want a pasta that will hold the sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment