About Me

My photo
Back in the 80s, I wrote a book called "Voyaging on a Small Income", which was published and sold astonishingly well. It’s become almost a “classic” and is probably why you’ve found this site! I’ve been living aboard and sailing since the 70s. Nine different boats have been home, sometimes for several months, sometimes for many years. I love the way of life, the small footprint and being close to Nature. I’m a great fan of junk rig and having extensive experience with both gaff and bermudian rig, I wouldn’t have any other sail on my boat. It’s ideal as a voyaging rig, but also perfect for the coastal sailing that I now do. I’d rather stay in New Zealand, not having to keep saying goodbye to friends, than go voyaging, these days. Between 2015 and 2021, I built the 26ft "FanShi", the boat I now call home. For the last 45 years or so, my diet of choice has been vegetarian and is now almost vegan. I love cooking and particularly enjoy having only myself to please. I am combining all these interests (apart, perhaps, from junk rig!) in this blog. I hope you enjoy it. I also have other blogs: www.anniehill.blogspot.com and http://fanshiwanderingandwondering.wordpress.com

15 March 2024

Fried Indian Rice, Tawa Pulao


 

 

This is my adaptation of Tawa Pulao, an Indian fried rice dish, made with vegetables and seasoned with the Pav Bhaji blend of spices. Pav bhaji is a vegetable (bhaji) street food, served with bread (pav), so the spice blend goes well with vegetable dishes. Tawa pulao is usually served as a light meal, or with dal, but I have added lentils to it, to turn it into a main-course meal. I cook the rice and lentils in the same pan and then add them to the almost-cooked vegetable. The great thing about this recipe is that it’s one of those that you can use for clearing out your fresh food locker. I suggest ‛typical’ vegetables, but I’ve found most things work in it. The ideal, however, is to have a little of several vegetables rather than a lot of one or two. I prepare about a cup and a half of diced vegetables, in addition to the onion. If you want to keep the recipe more like the street-style tawa, but still want a full meal, double up on the potato, increase the other vegetables and leave out the lentils.

To make the recipe accessible for those who don’t really want to deal with half a dozen or more different spices, I am suggesting you make it with a ready-mixed pav bhaji spice blend, the recipe for which you can find here and at the end of this recipe. You might be able to buy it online, if you don’t want to make it yourself. If all else fails, I suppose you could add curry powder, instead, although it will taste quite different.

Serves 2
 
Ingredients
 
1/2 cup basmati rice
1/2 cup small green lentils or mung beans
2 cups water
coconut oil, or oil of your choice
1 small onion, chopped
1 heaped tsp ginger paste
1 heaped tsp garlic paste
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/8 tsp fennel seeds
1½ tsp pav bhaji spice blend (here)
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 medium tomato, chopped OR 2 tbsp tomato paste and 1/4 cup water
1/2 medium red and/or green pepper, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 small potato, diced
1/4 cup freeze-dried peas, if available, soaked in 1/4 cup of water
salt to taste

Method

  • Add the rice and lentils to the water and cook until they are just softened.
  • Heat some oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook until it’s translucent.
  • Now add the ginger, garlic, cumin, and fennel seeds Mix everything well and cook for a minute.
  • Add the pav bhaji and cayenne to the pan, mix again and cook for another minute.
  • Stir in the tomatoes, pepper, carrot and potato. Stir to make sure everything is well combined. Lower the heat and cook until the tomatoes are completely softened and form a sauce.
  • Now add the peas and their water, and salt. Combine with the other ingredients and lower the heat.
  • Stir in the rice and lentils and gently mix everything really well. Increase the heat to medium-high.
  • Cook until everything is heated through and softened. If the rice and lentils are not quite soft, lower the heat and cook under a lid until they’re done, adding a drop more water if necessary to stop them burning.

Notes:

  • All the recipes that I’ve seen include tomatoes, peas and peppers, and usually potatoes and carrots, but if you don’t have them, the meal will still taste fantastic.
  • Like most Indian food, the flavour improves with time. If you cook extra, you can use it to stuff samosa. I like the leftovers for breakfast.
Variations:
  • Other vegetables such as finely chopped cabbage, sweet potato, green beans chopped root vegetables can be used instead of, or as well as the vegetables in the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment