About Me

My photo
Back in the 80s, I wrote a book called "Voyaging on a Small Income", which was published and sold astonishingly well. It’s become almost a “classic” and is probably why you’ve found this site! I’ve been living aboard and sailing since the 70s. Nine different boats have been home, sometimes for several months, sometimes for many years. I love the way of life, the small footprint and being close to Nature. I’m a great fan of junk rig and having extensive experience with both gaff and bermudian rig, I wouldn’t have any other sail on my boat. It’s ideal as a voyaging rig, but also perfect for the coastal sailing that I now do. I’d rather stay in New Zealand, not having to keep saying goodbye to friends, than go voyaging, these days. Between 2015 and 2021, I built the 26ft "FanShi", the boat I now call home. For the last 45 years or so, my diet of choice has been vegetarian and is now almost vegan. I love cooking and particularly enjoy having only myself to please. I am combining all these interests (apart, perhaps, from junk rig!) in this blog. I hope you enjoy it. I also have other blogs: www.anniehill.blogspot.com and http://fanshiwanderingandwondering.wordpress.com

04 January 2023

Annie's Mixed Herbs

I once bought a container of ‘Italian mixed herbs’ and for ages tried to puzzle out what was so special about it. At last, it came to me – there was a lot of fennel in the mixture. I found I much preferred the flavour to normal mixed herbs and when the container was finished, experimented with a number of combinations, until I came up with the following. I think there is a satisfying balance here between the sweet, the pungent and the robust, with the fennel adding that certain je ne sais quoi to the whole deal.You could, if you preferred, use ground fennel, but I always have fennel seed on board for my curries and if you happen to bite one, they add a delicious burst of flavour.

Incidentally, don’t even think of using ‘ground garlic’ in this – it tends to gum everything together.  If you don't have dried, minced garlic, then leave it out.   

The following recipe makes about ¼ of a cup.

1 tsp dried basil 
1.5 tsp fennel seed
1 tsp dried, minced garlic 
1 tsp dried mint 
1 tsp dried oregano 
1.5 tsp dried rosemary 
1.5 tsp dried sage
1 tsp dried thyme 
1/2 tsp ground cinammon 
1 tsp chilli flakes

 Mix everything together in a bowl and then put into an airtight jar.


No comments:

Post a Comment