About Me

My photo
Back in the 80s, I wrote a book called "Voyaging on a Small Income", which was published and sold astonishingly well. It’s become almost a “classic” and is probably why you’ve found this site! I’ve been living aboard and sailing since the 70s. Nine different boats have been home, sometimes for several months, sometimes for many years. I love the way of life, the small footprint and being close to Nature. I’m a great fan of junk rig and having extensive experience with both gaff and bermudian rig, I wouldn’t have any other sail on my boat. It’s ideal as a voyaging rig, but also perfect for the coastal sailing that I now do. I’d rather stay in New Zealand, not having to keep saying goodbye to friends, than go voyaging, these days. Between 2015 and 2021, I built the 26ft "FanShi", the boat I now call home. For the last 45 years or so, my diet of choice has been vegetarian and is now almost vegan. I love cooking and particularly enjoy having only myself to please. I am combining all these interests (apart, perhaps, from junk rig!) in this blog. I hope you enjoy it. I also have other blogs: www.anniehill.blogspot.com and http://fanshiwanderingandwondering.wordpress.com

05 January 2023

The Perfect Ovenless Loaf

For years, I tried to create perfect frying pan bread. It had to be easy to make, not too fuel-hungry, with a proper crust and of a shape that can be cut into suitable slices for toast or sandwiches. Finally, after more than a quarter of a century of experimenting, I discovered how to make the perfect, ovenless loaf.

To make this paragon of loaves, you need the following:

  • a frying pan  
  • a ‘1 lb’ loaf tin 
  • a stainless steel bowl that will fit over the loaf tin 
  • a trivet

The frying pan has to be heavy or else it will warp, and a simple cast-iron or alloy frying pan is the best for this. If your frying pan has a laminated base, experiment carefully to ensure that ‘dry frying’ won’t damage it.

If you don’t have a deep stainless steel bowl, buy one. You’ll find it endlessly useful – for making the bread dough, if nothing else.

The trivet can be the one that came with your pressure cooker. If you don’t have one, use half a dozen large nuts (as in nuts and bolts!) to keep the loaf tin away from the frying pan.

For the ovenless loaf, you need about two-thirds of the Basic Bread recipe, ie

2 cups wholewheat flour 
½ tsp salt 
1 tsp instant dried yeast 
1 cup lukewarm water, no warmer than 45°C (110°F) 
½ tsp sugar/honey2 tbsp vital wheat gluten

  • Make the dough, following the instructions for basic bread, and then put it into a standard, greased, ‘1 lb’ loaf tin. 
  • Put the trivet in the frying pan and stand the loaf tin on it. Cover the whole lot with your bowl and let the bread rise.  
  • When it’s ready to cook, put the frying pan over a moderate heat and cook for 45 minutes. If you smell burning, reduce the heat, if you can’t smell baking bread, increase it. 
  • After the requisite time, turn out the heat and remove the bowl. Leave the loaf to stand for a few minutes and then shake it out of the tin.

That’s all there is to it! And I think you’ll find that it never lets you down, as long as your yeast is fresh and your water isn’t too hot. And of course, the paragon of seagoing loaves, will be made with sea water.

Sadly, I have to add on caveat. My Origo, alcohol cooker doesn’t seem to provide enough heat for this to cook properly.

Therefore I have written a post on the Acceptable Ovenless Loaf for those of us who can't achieve perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment