About Me

My photo
Back in the 80s, I wrote a book called "Voyaging on a Small Income", which was published and sold astonishingly well. It’s become almost a “classic” and is probably why you’ve found this site! I’ve been living aboard and sailing since the 70s. Nine different boats have been home, sometimes for several months, sometimes for many years. I love the way of life, the small footprint and being close to Nature. I’m a great fan of junk rig and having extensive experience with both gaff and bermudian rig, I wouldn’t have any other sail on my boat. It’s ideal as a voyaging rig, but also perfect for the coastal sailing that I now do. I’d rather stay in New Zealand, not having to keep saying goodbye to friends, than go voyaging, these days. Between 2015 and 2021, I built the 26ft "FanShi", the boat I now call home. For the last 45 years or so, my diet of choice has been vegetarian and is now almost vegan. I love cooking and particularly enjoy having only myself to please. I am combining all these interests (apart, perhaps, from junk rig!) in this blog. I hope you enjoy it. I also have other blogs: www.anniehill.blogspot.com and http://fanshiwanderingandwondering.wordpress.com

10 March 2023

Savoury scone

Sometimes you want something more sustaining than a sandwich, but don’t want to eat out of bowls. A savoury scone can provide just what’s needed.

1 onion 
1 tbsp olive oil
 1/2 tsp sage 
1 cup flour
 2 tsp baking powder
 pinch of salt
 4 tbsp soft butter – OR 3 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup milk or water
  • Dice the onion and fry it in the oil until soft. Put to one side
  • Add the sage, baking powder and salt to the flour.
  • Rub in the butter/oil, or mix it in with a fork until you have a coarse, crumbly mix.
  • Quickly mix in the milk until you have a fairly soft, but non-sticky dough that you can handle easily.
  • Knead this for half a minute and then roll it out on a floured board into a roughly circular shape. Alternatively, if you have an oven, roll out the dough and cut it into six or eight discs, using a glass or a scone-cutter.
  • Put the dough in a frying pan over a flame tamer on a low flame. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or place in a preheated hot oven for 15 minutes.
  • Turn out, cut into wedges and split each, buttering and serving it while it’s still warm.

Variations:

  • Use some fresh herbs, if you have any available.
  • Add 1/4 cup grated cheese to the flour before mixing the dough.Fry some diced Seitan chorizo with the onion.
  • Add garlic to the onion, if you like./
  • Spread some Marmite or Annie's Big Mix (or both!) on the scone.
  • Instead of making scone dough, use Zebedee bread.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment