About Me

My photo
Back in the 80s, I wrote a book called "Voyaging on a Small Income", which was published and sold astonishingly well. It’s become almost a “classic” and is probably why you’ve found this site! I’ve been living aboard and sailing since the 70s. Nine different boats have been home, sometimes for several months, sometimes for many years. I love the way of life, the small footprint and being close to Nature. I’m a great fan of junk rig and having extensive experience with both gaff and bermudian rig, I wouldn’t have any other sail on my boat. It’s ideal as a voyaging rig, but also perfect for the coastal sailing that I now do. I’d rather stay in New Zealand, not having to keep saying goodbye to friends, than go voyaging, these days. Between 2015 and 2021, I built the 26ft "FanShi", the boat I now call home. For the last 45 years or so, my diet of choice has been vegetarian and is now almost vegan. I love cooking and particularly enjoy having only myself to please. I am combining all these interests (apart, perhaps, from junk rig!) in this blog. I hope you enjoy it. I also have other blogs: www.anniehill.blogspot.com and http://fanshiwanderingandwondering.wordpress.com

17 September 2026

Spinach and rice 'casserole'


I love spinach and there are many ways to cook it. This is as very simple recipe and if you are one of these terribly organised people, you can even cook the rice well in advance, in which case it will go together very quickly.  It isn't really a casserole, but that's the nearest I could get to describing it.
 
There’s no real point in specifying a weight of spinach – you tend to get what you’re given and take it. Suffice it to say that there has to be enough to feed two people. If you’re unused to cooking spinach, be warned: a big bunch that will hardly stuff into the shopping bag becomes only a few cupfuls when it’s cooked.
 
The base of this recipe, one of Rose Elliot's,  was taken from a French dish, cooked in a tian, which is a shallow, pottery or terracotta dish.  It's not one I make very often, because it uses eggs and I try not to eat too many of those.  However, it is very good, nutritious and not too filling, and also looks very attractive.  The original calls for breadcrumbs, but wherever I can, I use sesame seeds instead, which saves the business of grating crumbs, and they are far, far tastier!  If you have neither an oven, nor a tian, I suggest making it in the frying pan.
 
Serves 2
 
Ingredients
 
1/2 cup brown rice
1 cup salted water
2 tbsp sesame seeds 
bunch of spinach
1 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves
1/2 cup grated cheese*
2 eggs
nutmeg
cracked black pepper
 
Method:
  • Cook the rice in salted water in the usual fashion.
  • In a small, dry, frying pan, toast the sesame seeds, until they are lightly browned.  Be careful - they can burn very easily and become bitter. Set aside.
  • Wash the spinach and then roughly chop it. 
  • Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan, add the spinach and cook it for about 3 minutes. Keep it moving so that it gets coated in oil and the stuff at the top of the pan can cook, too.
  • Lower the heat and insert a flame tamer, if necessary. Add the cooked rice, diced garlic and the grated cheese. Mix well.
  • Beat the eggs. and stir in with the other ingredients. Season generously with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Smooth the top over and sprinkle with the sesame seeds. 
  • Cover and cook over a low heat for 15 minutes. Take off the cooker and leave to stand for 3 or 4 minutes before serving, just in case it has ‘caught’.
Some lightly cooked carrots go well with this.
 
Note:
  • If you have an oven, finish it off in there, once you've mixed everything together and added the sesame seeds.  That way you will brown it; however it may be wise to put the toasted sesame seeds on top, just before serving.
  • *If you eat eggs, but don't eat dairy products, use vegan cheese or mix 2 tbsp nutritional yeast in with the eggs. 
Variations:
  • Use silver beet/Swiss chard instead of spinach.
 
Edited 17/9/26
You will find many more rice recipes here

No comments:

Post a Comment