About Me

My photo
Back in the 80s, I wrote a book called "Voyaging on a Small Income", which was published and sold astonishingly well. It’s become almost a “classic” and is probably why you’ve found this site! I’ve been living aboard and sailing since the 70s. Nine different boats have been home, sometimes for several months, sometimes for many years. I love the way of life, the small footprint and being close to Nature. I’m a great fan of junk rig and having extensive experience with both gaff and bermudian rig, I wouldn’t have any other sail on my boat. It’s ideal as a voyaging rig, but also perfect for the coastal sailing that I now do. I’d rather stay in New Zealand, not having to keep saying goodbye to friends, than go voyaging, these days. Between 2015 and 2021, I built the 26ft "FanShi", the boat I now call home. For the last 45 years or so, my diet of choice has been vegetarian and is now almost vegan. I love cooking and particularly enjoy having only myself to please. I am combining all these interests (apart, perhaps, from junk rig!) in this blog. I hope you enjoy it. I also have other blogs: www.anniehill.blogspot.com and http://fanshiwanderingandwondering.wordpress.com

24 October 2022

Scrambled eggs

Experienced cooks will not need to learn how to cook these, but may find the prefatory remarks of interest. Scrambled eggs, as we all know, stick better than epoxy and most galleys simply do not have the room for a small, non-stick saucepan dedicated solely to the scrambling of eggs. A good alternative is to use your wok, if you have such a thing. I have a small enamelled pan that I regularly use for popcorn and that works like a charm, too. The new-style, hard-anodised, cast aluminium pans are perfect, so consider one of these if (a) you need another pan and/or (b) you love scrambled eggs. Cleaning a scrambled egg pan is probably one of the best arguments for trying a vegan alternative!

For the voyager new to cooking, I include this recipe because scramblers are so lovely when well made and so liable to turn out disappointingly. To ensure success, don’t let yourself be distracted while cooking them; have the hot plates, toast, etc ready in advance and everyone sitting down in anticipation; use a little milk or water to help them stay moist; don’t use too high a heat.

The best tool for scrambling eggs is a flat, wooden spatula, if you have such a thing.

Serves 2

a large knob of butter – equivalent of a heaped tbsp, or olive oil 

a generous grinding of pepper

seasoned salt

4 eggs

2 tbsp milk/thin cream/water

  • Over a low heat, melt the butter and stir in a pinch of salt and the black pepper.

  • Add the milk and eggs; beat quickly together for a moment until the yolks are broken and blended with the whites. You don’t want them to be totally incorporated as in an omelette.

  • Cook gently, occasionally scraping the setting eggs from the bottom and sides of the pan – don’t stir too vigorously because you want to create soft, smooth curds.

  • When all the egg is set, but before it starts drying out and turning rubbery, serve immediately, usually with hot toast, but it’s also good with freshly-baked bread.

Variations:
  • A little dried, minced garlic is delicious in scramblers at any time, and particularly if the eggs are getting past their best.

  • Add a little grated cheese to the pan, as soon as you’ve put in the eggs.

  • A few fresh herbs go well, especially parsley.

  • Try some cracked black pepper, for a change.

  • A couple of sliced mushrooms, fried in the butter/oil are delicious.

  • Add a sliced tomato, or several sliced cherry tomatoes.

  • If you add a little curry paste to the eggs, before beating them, the result makes a delicious snack on toast or crackers.

  • If you are lucky enough to find wild garlic, this goes beautifully with scrambled egg

No comments:

Post a Comment